This Tuesday is a marked day for Albania and its importance in the region, but also beyond. A high-level meeting between the leaders of the European Union and the countries of the Western Balkans will be held today in the capital.
The enlargement of the EU in the Western Balkans seems to have become a primary issue of the bloc, due to Russia's aggression on Ukraine and the increase in tensions.
This meeting will be a one-day meeting, while Prime Minister Edi Rama himself has described it as a historical moment for our country. Rama added that the one-day meeting is an indicator of the geostrategic interest that Europe has towards the region. However, the head of the government has not spared the criticism of the EU, for the delay of the enlargement process. The countries of the Western Balkans have faced a stagnation of this process for years.
Tirana is armored
Today, Tirana will be 'armored' by the strict security measures taken for the success of the EU-Western Balkans summit. Starting from 06:00 in the morning until 18:00, the "Rinas Qafë- Kashar, Tirana-Durrës highway, Shqiponja square, Astir ring, Botanical Garden, Sauk roundabout, the Sauk roundabout will be blocked. 'Varrezat e Dëshmorov', Elbasan street to the 'Elbasan' bridge.
Car traffic and parking will not be allowed on the aforementioned axes. The roads that connect Elbasan road with Pope John Paul II road will also be blocked.
As for the passage of residents of the area in the security perimeter areas, the police have announced that pedestrians will not be prohibited from crossing the security perimeter areas. Meanwhile, for the employees of the institutions and entities located in the narrow security perimeter around the 'Air Albania' stadium, they will also be asked for an identity card.
The Security Perimeter includes the following axes:
- "Dëshorët e Kombit" Boulevard, from Dajti Bridge to "Mother Teresa" Square;
- "Bajram Curri" boulevard from the intersection with "Elbasani" street to the intersection with "Ibrahim Rugova" street;
- "Pope John Paul II" street from ETC-RTSH-Stadium;
- "Dervish Hima" street;
- "Asim Zeneli" street;
- "Themistokli Gërmenji" street, near Elbasan street and the intersection near "Papa John Paul II" street;
- "Ismail Qemali" street, from the Liceu intersection to "Elbasani" street.
- "Mustafa Matohiti" street, near "Kosova" school;
- "Jul Variboba" street, near the post office, on Elbasani street and "Papa John Paul II" street;
- "Fatmir Haxhiu" street, ETC;
- "Lekë Dukagjini" street, from "Frederik Shopen" square, to "Air Albania" stadium and around the stadium;
- "Skerdilajd Llagami"
street - "Faik Konica" street.
- There will be a ban on the traffic of vehicles on the road axis;
-Rinas - Kashari Overpass - "Durrës - Tirana" Highway - Former "Shqiponja" Square - Tirana Ring Road - Sauk Roundabout - Roundabout near the Police Academy - Brigade Palace - "Student" City Roundabout, until the intersection with "Bajram Curri" boulevard.
- There will be restrictions on the circulation of heavy tonnage vehicles on the road axis "Shkodër - Lezhë - Milot - Thumanë - Fushë Krujë - Vorë".