The Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) has claimed responsibility for the terrorist attack that occurred this Sunday morning in Ankara, Turkey. This party is considered a terrorist group in Turkey, the European Union, Great Britain and the United States of America.
"An act of sacrifice was carried out against the Turkish Interior Ministry by a group linked to the Immortal Brigade," the armed group told Kurdish-linked media ANF.
The explosion happened outside the Turkish Ministry of Interior. The perpetrators were two people who arrived by car around 09:30 local time and launched the attack injuring two police officers.
One of the perpetrators blew himself up in front of the Ministry building, while the other was neutralized by the police. The explosion on the 'Ataturk' boulevard happened just a few hours before the parliamentary session.
Today more than ever, SPAK prosecutors need support! As you hear the life threats that prosecutors receive, you understand very well that the new justice system that has been set up is the right answer to crime and especially to organized crime.— Etilda Gjonaj (@GjonajEtilda) October 1, 2023
As can be seen in these images, the two terrorists came by car. They got off it and threw a small amount of explosives in the direction of the Ministry, in order to distract the security guards.
The second person opened fire on the guards at the entrance to the gate, before blowing himself up. While the other person ran towards the building and was immediately shot dead by the police.
Two officers were injured. One was shot in the chest, while the other received injuries to both legs and one of the eyes.
Turkish Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya, who immediately described the incident as a terrorist attack, said that the two policemen were out of danger.
Meanwhile, a security official said that the perpetrators had hijacked the car on Saturday in Kayseri, a city located about 260 kilometers southeast of Ankara. It is learned that they shot dead the driver, a 24-year-old boy with a veterinary profession.
Meanwhile, in his speech in parliament, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan described the attack as "the last throes of terrorism". "Evil people who targeted the peace and security of our citizens. They did not achieve their goal and they will never achieve their goal."
Sunday's bombing was the first in Ankara since 2016, when a deadly wave of attacks gripped the country. The last attack in the Turkish capital was in early 2016, the fifth during that year.
While the last mass attack in Turkey was in November last year, when a bomb exploded in a populated street in Istanbul, killing 6 people. Turkish authorities blamed Kurdish militant groups in Syria, however no one claimed responsibility for the attack./tvklan.al